Sunday 8 March 2020

The perils of training

I started training in April 2019. By end of June I felt I was a strong walker to do the half Camino day test. Carrying 10 Litres of water and 12 km with a halfway stop for a snack. 

Halfway was Hampton Court Bridge made with no stops.. Comfortably achieved.  

My first attempt to the Bridge ended in an early turn back and loss of footing on a slope sending me face first into a bracken bush. 

During the successful return I fought off lazy feelings for a rest. Then a couple of Kms from home I felt the tendons in my feet go sore while my Achilles’ tendons did the same. I rested remembering from my Reserve Army days that these tendons are needed to carry backpacks and are stronger when healed. Good preparation I thought. 

So next morning, in huge pain, I loosened off the limp and did a couple of miles loaded.

Both Achilles now self injured I expected a heal within 2 weeks. 

I couldn’t have days of no activity and this explained why the left leg was the first to heal after 3 weeks. My favoured leg now took another 7 months to now. No limp but if I walk a mile the calf starts to cramp. I also feel this was nature’s way of equalising the strength of the legs because my steps are more balanced. 

Camino training restarts now hopefully for a start just after Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment