Thursday 14 May 2020

It’s May 2020 after nearly a year injured

That’s right, it was June 2019 I injured both my Achilles’ tendons and inflamed the tendons in the metatarsals. Carrying 20kg with a mile to go on the Hampton bridge run the warning pains came on. I decided to have the injuries and pushed on. The idea of this being an Army one. Take the injury now and when healed it will be stronger. Should take a week like last time when I was in my 20s.

It took a month for the left to mend and 8 months for the right!

I cycled while not on the sofa. Different muscles and tendons are used from walking and thus no good to build up stamina and strength for the Santiago challenge.

Just as the weather improved for me this year to re-start training COVID-19 caused me to comply to lock down in March.

The rules were relaxed this week so where is obese me in relation to the Challenge requirement?



33 days of walking on average 25km per day (From John Brierley Camino Frances Guidebook).

I tried the flat Hampton Court Bridge circuit. Carrying 1kg and not the planned 8kg.




Roughly 17km (10 miles) in approximately 6 hours including breaks. 

Excellent result as I was also learning to walk properly again.. Legs were weak as you would expect with the lump tummy I carry.

It was a cool dry day and may we have plenty more of those. Before the injury my walking pace was 3mph this week 2mph. No injuries just very stiff and sore. Can’t move around without use of arms.  

On Camino I would have a rest day after 5 walking days ..... one trains for that. On Camino one builds up through the weeks.

Will I have the time and money this year?  In the meantime no harm training a couple of days a week till Spain opens its boarders. France just has but Santiago has gone back into lock down. In fact the Camino Frances route was the Spanish Covid hot spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment